Salmonella Nearly Kills Egg Vendor|碰雞蛋後未洗手就進食 女大腸9成壞死


An egg vendor in Kaohsiung recently came down with salmonella after handling eggs and then eating food without first washing her hands. By the time she came in for treatment, over 90 percent of her large intestine was necrotized. She has now recovered following surgery and a one-month hospitalization.


People are advised to wash their hands thoroughly after handling eggs.

The eggs are laid on the ground, and come into contact with chicken feces, so of course you have to wash your hands.

Recently, a 35-year-old egg vendor in Kaohsiung sought treatment after coming down with fever, diarrhea, and abdominal swelling. She was transferred to a large hospital. While undergoing surgery, doctors found that over 90 percent of her large intestine was necrotized. They removed about 100 centimeters of the necrotized large intestine.

We found that a large portion of the large intestine had ruptured and necrotized, and it was accompanied by peritonitis. The surgery we carried out was to excise the necrotized parts and create a temporary anal sphincter.

This woman frequently handled eggs and then ate food without first washing her hands, resulting in salmonella. The infection was complicated by toxic megacolon. She recovered after surgery and a one-month hospitalization, although she will only be able to defecate through an intestinal stoma.

The symptoms are generally the same as those of gastroenteritis. Most people recover after receiving antibiotics or intravenous drips. Such as serious case like this one is actually quite rare.

Doctors say the salmonella bacteria are present in animal feces. As eggs may come into contact with chicken feces, people are advised to purchase washed eggs and clean their hands thoroughly after handling eggs.



早餐店煎蛋做早餐、還有到蛋行買零售雞蛋,用手拿蛋後,切記手洗乾淨很重要。

雞蛋零售商表示:「(雞蛋)現在生在一大片土地,它會有雞屎,(放養的) 有雞屎,對,對,當然要洗手。」

一名家住高雄民眾差點因此喪命,這名從事雞蛋販售業的35歲女子,日前因發燒、腹瀉、腹部鼓脹,轉診到大型醫院,開刀時發現女子的大腸超過九成已發黑、壞死,為了保命,醫生切除壞死的大腸約100公分。

高雄長庚大腸直腸外科主治醫師 蔡鎧隆表示:「發現有大段大腸有破裂壞死,合併有腹膜炎狀況,當下我們做的手術,是把壞死的腸子切除,做了一個暫時性的人工肛門。」

原來這名女子販售雞蛋,經常用手摸雞蛋,但卻未將手洗乾淨就進食,導致誤食沙門氏菌,引發感染,併發毒性巨結腸症,開刀救回一命,住院一個月才痊癒,而日後排便只能從肚子的腸造口。

高雄長庚大腸直腸外科主治醫師 蔡鎧隆表示:「一般大部分他們的症狀,就跟一般腸胃炎一樣,大概經過抗生素,或者是點滴注射後,大部分會痊癒,她會這麼嚴重其實是比較少見。」

醫生指出,沙門氏菌普遍存在動物糞便中,雞蛋偶爾會沾附雞隻糞便,因此建議多選購洗選蛋,且在摸完蛋後要勤洗手,避免沙門氏菌從口入。

相關新聞

專題|全台敬老金大調查