Group to Visit Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant 日擬將含氚廢水排入海 我觀察團赴日了解

The Atomic Energy Council delivered a report addressing Japan's dumping of radioactive wastewater into the sea. It said an eight-member observation group will travel to Japan on March 23 and visit Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant's Unit 1 Reactor on March 25.

The Japanese government intends to dump radioactive wastewater from Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant's Unit 1 Reactor into the sea. A team from the International Atomic Energy Agency visited Japan from Feb. 14 to 18 to learn more and collect seawater samples for independent analysis and verification. Taiwan asked to participate, but was rejected. The Atomic Energy Council said on March 21 that an eight-member observation team will leave for Japan on March 23 and visit the plant on March 25.

Hsieh Shou-shing, Minister, AEC: “They are scheduled to leave on a flight at 3:15 p.m. on Wednesday. We weren't able to explain the reason right at the start. Apart from this reason, there was also the biggest reason, which is that we worried there would be changing.”

AEC Minister Hsieh Shou-shing told the legislature that the trip is five days long but the actual number of working days is only 1.5. One entire day will be spent at the plant to learn more about wastewater equipment and facilities. Opposition legislators said the group should follow the IAEA and collect seawater samples.

Wan Mei-ling, Legislator (KMT): “Are you sure the IAEA didn't (collect seawater)?”
Hsieh Shou-shing, Minister, AEC: “Yes, this is what the latest information that we have tells me.”
 Wan Mei-ling, Legislator (KMT): “Okay. I think we should do this if necessary.” 

An independent legislator said the names of the group members need to be disclosed to ensure its capabilities. The AEC responded that the Council of Agriculture, Ocean Conservation Administration, and Environmental Protection Administration all wanted to send their people, but decided not to participate this time following a videoconference. Another legislator demanded that the group submit a report within a month after returning to Taiwan.